History Photo Album Family Tree Contact.htm

 SOME IMPORTANT MATTERS FOR THE ADANGAPPURATHU FAMILY MEMBERS TO REMEMBER;

     The Adangappurathu Family in North America       

Introduction of “Sanka Puri Tharavad” and  “Adangapurath family” in Perumpranad district:

               Malankara Nasranis were scattered throughout Travencore in small numbers, surrounding the church foundation laid by St. Thomas; (in 8 locations). Members of Pakalomattom were strong in promoting constructive leadership among the St. Thomas Malankara Nasranis for many decades. Sankara Puri family members also took major responsibilities within the church spectrum where both families shared the position as “Arch Deacons” (mostly from Pakalomattom over the centuries) to provide leadership to its members. At its inception Nasranis were very small in numbers but grew the population slowly over the centuries.  

            After the arrival of “Kaldayans” in AD 345 from Iraq area, the local Nasrani families started exploring their mission in more depth.  The Kaldayans gave some guidance to install “Arch Deacons” for Nasranis.  The Kaldayans had only their Bishop conducting their Holy Mass, while the Malankara Nasranis had a very few Deacons holding prayer groups in Sanskrit language in their respective location. All they knew was to pray to Jesus for mercy, repeatedly for a long period of time. There were no formal manuscripts given by St. Thomas to these Nasranis, thus making so difficult to conduct a meaningful prayer service at the gathering. They used to spend most of their times in chit-chatting until the Deacon calls order to pray. Women were not permitted to join the prayer groups at the early stages. They usually discuss matters such as, “who should be stoned to death” for criminal acts, such as adultery and other acts against the church beliefs. Deacons always supported the decisions made by the elderly person of the group, and the oldest person casted the first stone against women.  The Arch Deacon, who was in-charge of the regional Deacons, fully supported the killing of innocent women for many years (when a man rape a woman, the woman is innocent, but no mercy was given to her, and man walks away free).

            The arrival of “Knanaya Orthodox” people at Mylapoor in AD 349 was also given moral support for the Malankara Nasranis. Like Jews people arrived Mattanchery from B.C. 150 onwards, they also came due to the massive persecution of Romans in the Middle East. Hindus in Malankara started noticing the growth of Christian believers and they did not take that lightly. Many “tents” made for prayer in all parts of Malankara were destroyed by the Hindus frequently. Even though there were “mini Kings” approved to form “tents” for the purpose of prayer, the Nair families opposed to have Christian gathering in throughout Travancore and Cochin. Hindus alleged that Nasranis are causing “droughts”, “heavy rain:, “sickness”, etc, to them because of their pattern of worships. However, Hindus did not oppose the foreigners (Knayayans, Jews  and Knanayans)  because they were afraid of the fact that their God may hurt them in retaliation.

            Cheraman Perumal – The King ruled the entire state:

            The era of “Cheraman Perumal” ended in around AD 377, when the Raja decided to accept Christianity and went to Jerusalem. The reason for him to make such a move was that he had a dream revealing that because he supported Hindus to torture Nasranis, therefore, his son will not have any children and the dynasty will end. He told this to his wife and his son when he woke up (son was only 10 years old at that time). The scared King immediately invited Christian leaders, particularly the ones came from foreign land where Jesus Christ had lived, and wanted to know more about Christianity. The King found Knanaya Thomman to be a great person therefore, he gave him some recognition in the name of Jesus Christ. Hindus were stunned by this move made by the King. The King requested Knanaya Thomman to help him to travel to Jerusalem and nearest areas for the blessing from Jesus Christ. Accordingly, Thomman assisted the King to travel by the merchant ship to the Holy Land. Thomman coordinated the entire trip and he gave some people to accompany the King and his staff. The King and his staff spent nearly 6 months on foreign land with the help of Knanaya Thoman. The King donated gold and diamonds to the people in Jerusalem, particularly religious heads belonging to Christians and Jews. On the way back he decided to stay in Muscut at last for a few days to rest, and there he had a heart attack and died. His tomb is still visible in Muscat, as written in Arabic language “Cheraman Perumal Maha Raja” of Chera Naadu. Some Muslims later on claimed that he accepted their religion prior to his death, but there was no Muslim religion formed in AD 379 (Muslims religion was established in around AD 652 by Prophet Mohammed). Perhaps God made this to happen for a reason, as was done in Rome, for King Constantine to realize the sign of “Cross”, around the same time frame. The King in Italy declared the entire nation to worship Jesus Christ, after many years of persecution of strong believers of Christ. Romans then spread around the world their teaching of Christianity and created the largest group in the world, as Roman Catholics.

Ruling of “mini Kings” in Kerala State (total 19)

            Prior to leaving for Holy Land, Cheraman Perumal Raja had a gathering with all prominent Hindu leaders of the Temple ( “Melshanthi”) and given them regional authorities to rule their respective regions, in the event that the Raja doesn’t return from his long trip. He stressed the point to these 19 regional “most religious” leaders to respect all Nasranis in their respective territories, and immediately put a stop to tortious behavior. These 19 prominent individuals became “mini Kings” in their respective areas throughout the Chera Naadu (Kerala State), once they learned that their Superior was dead.  

            Many Nasranis were loyal soldiers to these mini Kings, and when they retire they used to get special treatment such as, name being “Tharakan”, “Pillai”, “Mappila”, “Panicker”, etc. Based on their ranks in the force, each person used to get land allotment also, (back then Nasranis used to live at the valleys and not so good lands, because Brahmans and Nairs held good lands). Many Nasranis planted vegetables, rice, pepper, banana trees and many other crops on lands belonging to Hindus. Hindus were astonished the results of such flourishing outcome by Nasranis.

            After several Centuries, Nasranis grew in population and started relocating to various locations in an effort to make a better living. For example, Sankara Puri family was originated in Kodungalloor and later around AD 1050 they started moving south. It was common for Nasranis to live as group in an area, after clearing the woods and jungles then focus on farming crops. Many of these mixed community of Nasranis (from Sankara Puri, Pakalomattom, Kaali and Kalyankal) later on resided places such as, Kothamangalam, Perumpavoor, Paravoor, Angamali, Alwaye, Piravam, Mattanchery (near Jews community which was migrated starting B.C 150 to AD 50 due to the Roman persecution as well as for cargo shipping relationship). Around AD 1250 a massive number of Nasranis migrated to Kuravilangad, Chempu and Vykkam areas and established strong bases there. Later on they migrated to southern places such as, “Ramapuram/Kottayam”, “Allappuzha”, “Edathua”, “Pandalam”, “Kallooppara”, “Eraviperoor”, “Thumpamon”, “Edathua”,  “Quilon”, “Trivandrum”, “Kadambanad”, “Adoor”, Puthencavu, Kottarakkara, etc.  Surrounding each of the church bases, as was consecrated by St. Thomas, small group of “Baptized Nasranis” were always present. When the “Nilakkal Church” was destroyed by the Tamilyans in around AD 1150, there were a small group ran away from there and re-settled in northern parts of Malankara, such as “Ranni”, “Kanjnirappally”, etc.            

            Portugese domination in Kerala State:

The arrival of Portugese in 14th Century made a revolution among Nasranis in Malankara. Almost all Nasranis were forced to join the Roman Catholic rites.  A handful of churches resisted the Portugese and kept the same way of worship they had for many centuries, without any reformation. People who resisted started seeking the help of other churches, such as Syrian Orthodox Church. The Knanayans group helped them reaching out to Syrian Orthodox group in Jerusalem. It took too long for the Syrian Orthodox to act, because they were afraid of the Roman Catholics throughout the region. In AD 1652, a senior Bishop named, “Ahatallah Mor Gregorius” decided to sacrifice the trip to Malankara, along with a few loyal members from Knanaya community. When this Bishop arrived at Mylapoor Port, he was kidnapped by another group and took him by boat to Goa. He stayed in exile in Goa prison under the Catholics control, then later on disappeared from the face of the earth. The group that waited to receive this Bishop decided to gather at Mattanchery in AD 1653 and made homage to the Syrian Bishop, who was vanished. This gathering was a historical one and was called “Koonam Kurisu Sathyam”. They made a pledge that any foreign clergies arriving Malankara in the future should not be tortured and they should be given safe heaven, and the existing curse from murdering the Syrian Bishop should be forgiven by Jesus Christ. Roman Catholic members were shaken up by this gathering, and they also decided to stay away from the religious politics. Some of the Roman Catholic members who assisted in torturing the Syrian Bishop later on realized their sin, and joined the other group lead by Orthodox Syrian Church. 

            In AD 1665 another Bishop (Abdul Jaleel Mor Gregorius) decided to travel by ship to Malankara. He was accompanied by a Deacon, who went to receive him in Syria and traveled together back to Mylapoor port. This Bishop was well received by the pioneers of Nasranis and made arrangement to accommodate him at the Monastry, located Angamali.  This Bishop was so deep in belief and healed so many sick people. Many of the Roman Catholic members began joining the Syrian Orthodox belief and practices because of the miracles occurred during that time. This Bishop started naming churches in Saints’ names, such as St. Marys, St. Thomas, St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Stephens, etc.  Many Hindus became Christians after receiving miraculous healings from this Bishop, and the Nasranis began growing in numbers. He promoted the intercessory prayer of Mother Mary effectively. In fact, he wrote scripts on palm leafs for continuous prayer and given to those who wanted to heal from serious epidemic. Subsequently, the Syrian Orthodox members started growing and the churches were conducting services in Syriac language. Accordingly, this Bishop started ordaining many priests to take charge of church gatherings. The Syriac language became a problem for Nasranis to comprehend the meaning of each word in Syriac. During that time Sanscript was the only language spoken in Malankara. It took a long time, until the British people arrived, to print Bible in a language later spoken “Malayalam” (a language mixed with Sanscript and Tamil). The Malayalam version of Bible was printed in Bombay was in around AD 1845. Even then many Nasranis did not know how to read or write the Malayalam language. It took many years to see a total civilization in Malankara, and that was with the blessing of British authorities, “with the proper schooling”.

            Sankara Puri family’s “second generation” at Kalloopara:  AD 1669…….

Itty Avirah Tharakan was the only son of Avirah Tharakan of Sankara Puri and Maria/Sri Devi – the niece of Edappally King.  While residing in the Palace, Shri Devi was miraculously healed from a decease that was not diagnosed back then, nor was a proper treatment available. For few years they were dubious of the type of decease their child had and was depressed over the fact that they may lose the one in only child they have. Her brother had died from the same decease at the age of 10 under the same circumstances.  Devaky Antharjanam (mother of Shri Devi) tried everything possible to cure the decease, but failed. Finally, she heard the arrival of a Bishop from Syria, Abdul Jaleel Mar Gregerious, who was based in the Orthodox Seminary at Angamali in AD 1665, and healed so many in the name of Jesus and Mother St. Mary. (This Bishop had installed the Mar Thoma I, as well as naming each Parish a name of Saint, such as St. Thomas, St. Mary’s, St. Pauls, etc), child baptism, and the teaching of the Worship in Syriac language, the way Priests and Bishops should dress, etc).  Many Nasranees who were under the Roman Catholic, found this being a phenomenon opportunity to receive spiritual satisfaction by joining the Syrian Orthodox rites and worshipping. This Syrian Bishop eloquently articulated his followers how to worship in ancient Orthodox Christian methods. Although Davaky’s brother – Edappally King was very much opposed to such a move, Devaki somehow convinced her brother-King and managed to meet with the Bishop at the Ankamali Monastry in 1666, and appealed to the Bishop that she is willing to convert her daughter to Christian and will be married to a Christian, if she is healed from the sickness at the age of 10.  Davaky Andarjanam followed many steps for a 8-day prayer, as instructed by the Bishop, through the intercessory prayer of Mother St. Mary, Shri Devi was miraculously healed, thus her mother named her “Maria”.

Influence of Edappally King through Adangapurathu family:

Maria was married to Avirah Tharakan of Sankara Puri after officially converting to Christianity by the Arch Deacan “Pakalomattom” and by the Syrian Bishop in AD 1669, at the age of 13. Under the directives of Edappally King, Avira Tharakan and Maria, immediately after their marriage, was moved to take over the Perumpranad district that consist of 7 Villages (Kaviyoor, Kallooppara, Puthussery, Puramattom, Vennikulam, part of Kumbanad and part of Eraviperoor, Manimala, etc). Back then the entire region was mostly undeveloped and travelling was difficult through the villages. There were 5 Illams (Illams are belonged to Bhraman familities) and one Illam - “Tharamel”, located in Puramattom was dissolved by the Edappally King in AD 1668, because there was no one rightfully claiming the family/Illam, as the next heir. An adopted member by marriage could not have inherited the Illam, according to the Brahman traditional practice. The King ordered to seize the wealth from the “Safe/Arrah” of Tharamel Illam, and upgraded the house and surrounding to fit the need of the royal couple. The King also kept ample soldiers to safeguard the Illam until these newly wedded couple had arrived there. The King continued to have this Illam guarded until they moved to another location.    

Maria’s parents, “Kishan Bhattathiri” and “Davaky Antharjanam” (Edapally King’s sister) were also decided to move in with this royal couple.  Avirah Therakan repudiated to have him and his wife being elevated from the ground, and carried by people on a stretcher each time when he or his wife decided to travel; (back then all traveling were done through the river). He also didn’t like the fact that many people accompanied him “with cheering loud voices”, each time when he travelled. The entire family was purely vegetarian and the tradition continued for 3 generations. This couple always went to Niranam church for worship, while Maria’s parents went to the nearest “Kaali Temple in Vennikulam” and “Devi Temple- Kallooppara”. When arriving and leaving, people at Niranam treated this couple with high regard and dignity. (Both, Avirah Tharakan and Maria were buried at Niram Church Cemetery. Their Son Itty Avirah Tharakan and his Son Valiya Avirah Tharakan were also buried at Niranam church). After the death of in-laws, Itty Avirah Tharakan decided to move into a place near the Manimala River, always called “Moolamannil land”. Itty Avirah Tharakan took some people with him and traveled back to Kulasekaram and Viyakkam areas and asked many Christians to move to Perumpranad district. Accordingly, several hundreds of families moved to the area as Avirah Tharakan gave them safe heaven. He also had requested many Nair families to let Christians do the farming on their lands, so that they can make a comfortable living, (Nair families welcomed such a move, because they were also benefited from the hard work of Christians). Christians were well known for planting vegetables, rice, pepper, banana trees and many other crops and gain wealth from it.  Itty Avirah Tharakan and his descendants were always keen in safeguarding Christians in the area. Most of the Christians were able to acquire small lands in the valley of hill at first, then better areas as they made money to purchase from Nair families. Nair family members back then did not do any work, rather sat at home playing with their children. Some Nair young men joined the army of regional Kings, and performed very poorly. On the other hand, Christian person worked hard and constantly made recognition from the King. With God’s grace, many of these Christian families have elevated by hard working, providing education to their children and later maintained much higher living standards. During the early 1800s (Adangapurathu Avirah Avirah Panicker “Olesseril Kochoonjachan”- 4th generation of Sankara Puri in Perumpranad) began helping the families that have bright children for their education. He also stopped the severe punishments to those did not pay taxes while assuming the charge of the local court as “Muthalpady”. His mercy toward all hard working people in Perumpranad was a true history. End of each day (after court session) many defendants used to gather around his home at Olesseril and made homage to him for saving them from severe punishments. Helping the children for the education had continued by others from Adangapurathu family for many years thereafter. Records show that even during the time of Eapen Panicker (grandson of Avirah Eapen Kochu Panicker) and his son Geevargese Panicker (who lived until 1921), so many families had received financial aid for educating their children, or to upgrade their homes and/or to getting their daughters married, or getting treated for sickness. Those who were talented and good in studies were brought over to Adangapurathu Tharavadu to introduce to Eapen Panicker and to Geevarghese Panicker, for personal attestations as well as for embraces. Today, there are so many Christian families proudly resides and very much enriched in Perumpranad district because of Adangapurathu Itty Avirah Tharakan and his descendants’ affectionate treatment over the decades. .  

Establishment of Adangapurathu Tharavadu House: AD 1732

During the time when Itty Avirah Tharakan (Son of Avirah Tharakan and Maria) was born, the family had experienced a huge overflow of river and their home at Moolamannil land was flooded heavily.  Evidently, this incident was very much shocking to this royal family and was more convinced at that time the place was vulnerable to future heavy flooding. The Edappally King came to know about this incident, and he ordered that they must build a house immediately where it cannot be flooded.  The King suggested that the house should be on a much higher level, and not too far from the local Court (across the river from the Devi Temple “Maduthum Bhagam”), and being proximity to the river for traveling, as always. It was a usual practice as ordered by the King from the beginning that each authorized Sankara Puri/Adangapurathu family descendent should take charge of collecting the taxes and undertake the local affairs, including the judicial/court matters, various family property disputes and religious disputes, (a powerful position held as “Muthalpady”).  The house was constructed, as was suggested by the King, on a higher land between the two Nair families - “Mecheril” and “Keezhcheril”, after a constant effort of 4 years to collect all precious art work and materials from various parts of South India. There was a huge “Safe/Arrah” (with 3 combinations and 3 layers) was needed to keep all material wealth, such as Gold and Diamonds, (which were inherited from Theramel Illam and many precious gold and diamonds given by Edappally King from the beginning). In addition, there were so  many documents written in languages such as, Sanscript, Tamil, Nanam Moonam, English etc, going back to many Centuries with Sankara Puri forefathers. It amazing to  note that forefathers from Sankara Puri were all kept up to date with the pace as they noted down certain highlights of events took place in Chera Naadu (Kerala State), recorded on the palm leaves.  All histories, records and communications of the St. Mary’s Orthodox church were kept in this Safe/Arrah from  AD 1750 to AD 1921 (Valiya Avirah Tharakan took over the Kallooppara church in AD 1750, after paying off its debts and renovated the entire church, which was completed in in 1755). Most parts of that historical church which was built by Adangapurathu Valiya Avirah Tharakan are still visible, such as main Alter “with beautiful art work” and ancient style roofing areas, etc. A room in the left side (inside the church) was also constructed for Valiya Avirah Tharakan and his male descendants to stay during the church service. In that room there was a bed also placed for the elder person in the Adangapurathu family to rest intermittently during the church service (back then such privileges were permitted to many prominent families in various churches). It was recorded also that during the late 1800s, “Parumala Thirumeni” (later Saint Greegorios of Parumala), and “Vattasseril Thirumeni” (later Saint Devanyasis of Vattasseril) were among the Bishops who had used this bed for them to rest before and after church services. Today, the church members have preserved this bed for the reason that these Holy fathers had used it. The general meetings of the church were presided by the person who resided at Adangapurathu Tharavadu, (who had upper hand position- “Kaikkaran”) and each member was given chance to make their point of views respectfully. Unlike today, there were no arguments and no disputes as everyone respected each other for the common goal under proper direction. Back then other prominent family members in the church were, Moothedathu family, Ayranpallil family, Kalloor family, Poovelil family, Moolamannil family, Maret family, etc. They all respected the decisions made by the chair (Adangapurathu Panicker) from time to time. The last person who had the above privileges was “Geevarghese Panicker”, until 1921. During the recent years the church was re-renovated and made so beautiful and attractive, by its most dedicated members, (“see website of Kallooppara St. Marys Orthodox Church”). This church is a true blessing for the entire Kallooppara region.  

Kallooppara Palli (church was named St. Mary’s Orthodox Syrian Church in AD 1666, by Syrian Bishop)

In AD 1339, the Edappally King had given verbal approval to have a dead body buried in the open land of “Thamarassery Purayidam” west side of the Hindu Temple, as the King was sympathized with the group of people traveling with the dead body (from Manimala to Niranam by small boat “Vallam” and staged at the Temple station (“Ambala Cadavu”). One of the Aaru Veedan family members (“Thazhathe Peedikayil”) had a tea shop at the junction for the benefit of the travelers, going back and forth Manimala River. They stopped there to purchase snacks and salt (to preserve the dead body). After the burial, the “Aaru Veedan Families” decided to make a “small tent” near the burial ground so that the small group of families can gather and pray there frequently. Although Edappally King did not give permission to start a prayer group there initially, later the King consented to it, despite of massive objections from Nair families. Aaru Veedan members made the announcements to people in the Perumpranad and beyond that there is a place for Christians to gather and praying near the Temple, and no need to go to Niranam. People from nearby places started gathering there to have a prayer together with the Priest who was assigned by Niranam church from time to time. There was so much opposition from Nair families to have Nasranis gathering and worshipping near their Devi Temple. At the inception of this prayer location, people were afraid to gather there because of the brutal resistance from young men from Nair families (stone throwing to the tent while the prayer was going on, was a common practice). On many occasions the tent was disappeared when believers try to have a prayer there (usually young Nair members remove the tent and throw it in the river).  However, the Aaru Veedan families kept rebuilding the tents each time when it was destroyed and did not give up the hope that they could establish a stronghold there.

Riots was ended in Kallooppara Church; saved the church: (made possible by Avirah Tharakan of Sankara Puri and his grandson - Adangapurathu Valiya Avirah Tharakan);

When the Sankara Puri branch/Adangapurathu family was established in the area in AD 1669, they brought law and order to the entire Perumpranad district, and the “Nair – Nasranis riots” were put to rest. Once Edappally King stationed at the Temple, along with Avirah Therakan (King stands as uncle to him through his wife), and ordered both groups to gather in front of the King at the Temple site, then declared that there are two Mothers for everyone, namely “Devi” and “Mary” and every one from both sides must respect both of them. Both sides obeyed the King and began respecting both institutions. The King frequently enquired his designated “Muthalpady” (Adangapurathu Panicker) to ensure that all   people are living in total harmony.  In around AD 1740, the church leaders decided to borrow Rs.1,000 from a Muslim person (in Quilon) to build a church with walls and proper foundation, (moving away from multiple tents). They also later on borrowed Rs.1,200 from the same person (Pooku Musa Marakkar – Quilon) to pay off the share to Mar Thoma IV, for bringing the Patriarch of Syrian Orthodox church from Syria, for the installation of Mar Thoma V. This was ordered by the Marthada Verma Maha Raja to take place, because Mar Thoma IV had already ordained Mar Thoma V, and it was wrong, according to the majority of members in Malankara and they filed a petition with the Marthanda Verma Maha Raja. All major churches were ordered to pay a fair share (up to Rs. 1,200) to bring in Patriarch from Syria.  Thereafter, even in 1755, no payment was made to Pooku Musa thus the church had incurred mounting debts (principle and interests) being owed to Pooku Musa Marakkar. The Court had finally ordered to demolish the church building and take over the land by Pooku Musa Marakkar (Pooku Musa had plan to establish a Muslim Mosque there, and bring in some Muslims from Quilon area, according to the records). Adangapurathu Avirah Tharakan was approached by the church leaders and requested for help. He decided to pay off all of their debts (at that time Valiya Avirah Tharakan was a member of Niranam church and was attending service there regularly). Pookku Musa walked away happily as he received gold “in the form of bananas” from the Arrah/Safe of Adangapurathu Tharavadu, which was more than what was owed to him. The members of the church begged Avirah Tharakan to come to the Kallooppara church and provide effective leadership. Accordingly, he decided accept their request and began constructing a new church with many modern arts included, at his own cost, and then started attending service there; (when Valiya Avirah Tharakan passed away, he was buried in Niranam church cemetery along with his parents and grandparents).

Itty Avirah Tharakan (1671 – 1732) father of “Valiya Avirah Tharakan” (see above).

Valiya Avirah Tharakan (1692 – 1769) had 3 Sons and 1 daughter;  Avirah Avirah Valiya Panicker,  Avirah Eapen Kochu Panicker, Avirah Thoma Malpan and Achiamma.

1.     Avirah Avirah - Valiya Panicker (1708 – 1724) had 2 sons;  Avirah Avirah Panicker “Olesseril Kochu Kunjoochan” (Muthalpady-Perumpranad district; buried in the “Hykkalah” -just outside the Alter of Kallooppara St. Mary’s Orthodox Church),  and “Avirah Eapen – Kanjiravelil”. Their sons, became known as, “Olesseril”, “Valloorickal”, “Kanjiravelil”, “Padapparampil”, “Kurinjikkattu”, etc.

2.     Avirah Eapen -  Kochu Panicker (1710 – 1742)  had 4  sons;  Avirah Eapen (who became Judge in Travancore, appointed by  the Maha Raja of Trivancore and moved to Thalavady), Eapen Oommen – moved to Kalamannil, Joseph Malpan (he was buried in the Kallooppara Alter, north side),  and Eapen Vareethu (youngest brother - stayed at Tharavadu).  Their descendants were established their names such as, “Kodickal”, “Mammoottil”, “Purackal” etc., in Thalavady, and “Kalamannil”, “Purackal”, “Poikayil”, “Klyanplakkal”, etc., in Puramattom and Kumbanad areas.

3.     Thoma Malpan (1712 – 1862) was a spiritual leader, who was instrumental to make many changes in the Malankara Orthodox Church as a whole. He was an Assistant to the Mar Thoma V and VI, in addition to teaching Syriac language in the Seminary at Angamaly. He was the one who completely put a stop to killing women, those who commit adultery, or any other relevant crimes against the church. Many innocent victims (although the woman is raped) were lost lives in Malankara prior to Thoma Malpan. He was buried next to the Kallooppara Alter (north side).

4.     Achiamma (1714 – 1765) was married to Ninan of Vadakkethalakkal – Mavelikkara. When her husband died in a car accident (at Madras), she decided to come back to Adangapurathu Tharavadu with her 2 infant sons, (later her sons settled down at “Maret” and “Ooriappadikkal” in Kallooppara region, with the help of their cousin - Avirah Avirah Panicker “Olesseril Kochoonjachan, when he was the Muthalpady.

Unfair practices occurred in the Adangapurathu family: (Mid 1800s and early 1900s):

Now that 5 to 6 generations have passed since the above (Valiya Panicker and Kochu Panicker era), the Adangapurathu family members are scattered all over the world. The historical Tharavadu house was traditionally passed on to the youngest son of the father from each generation. This practice had deviated by Geevarghese Panicker who passed away in 1921. He decided to give the historical house to his 4th Son – A.G. Joseph Panicker, instead of the youngest, who was A. G. Mathews Panicker. If the traditional practice was kept in line, the Tharavadu would have been today held by Eapen Mathews  Panicker “Biju” (youngest son of Mathews Panicker), who is presently residing in Coimbatore – Tamil Nadu. In fact, many members of the Adangapurathu family sincerely wished that the traditional practice could have kept intact by Geevarghese Panicker, but it did not occur that way !

Sadly, the humongous wealth and the land of the Adangapurathu family were not divided fairly in or around AD 1820. After the death of Avirah Avirah Panicker – “Olesseril Kochoonjachan” in 1815, at the age of 45, (he was the Muthalpady, who looked after the entire Perumpranad district, on behalf of Edappaly King, looked after the entire Adangapurathu family members, and helped the King in paying off a huge debt the King had), all documents/deeds maintained by him was forcefully taken away by his cousin – Eapen Vareed (youngest Son of Avirah Eapen Kochu Panicker, who inherited the Tharavadu house). The most painful verbal communication passed on by the wife of Avirah Avirah Panicker (Elder Son of Avirah Avirah Valiya Panicker) reveals that there was another member of the family accompanied Eapen Vareed and demanded all deeds and documents from her (5 years after the death of her husband), by alleging that those valuable deeds will be stolen if they are kept at Olesseril house, where there was no male adult person residing in the house (children were aged 14, 12, 10, 9 and 6). Although the 3 daughters of Avirah Avirah Panicker were married to  3 other prominent  families, (such as, Sankara Mangalam “Padipurackal”– Eraviperoor,  Kaiyalathu – Mallappally, etc), the 2 sons (1 settled at Valloorickal and the other at Olesseril house) did not receive a fair share that should have been given to their father from Adangapurathu.  Consequently, the Olesseril branch of the family (holding  the rightful eldest position in the Adangapurathu family) for many years felt the pain, because they grew up by  seeing how the other ones (those who are from Tharavadu brach) were doing financially, as they had inherited many thousands of acres of lands and other wealth from the “safe/Arrah”. Needless to mention that it is even today, very common practice in many reputed families that members either fight for retaining land and wealth, and totally forgetting the fair practices as brotherly Christians.  It is unfortunate to note that God has no place in the minds of many people when they cowardly dealing with money and wealth !     

Web Site Created By Joseph Valloorickal Thomas  (One of the great great grandsons of Adangappurathu Avirah Avirah Valiya Panicker)

Last Updated July / 2002